Sunday, October 5, 2008

My Cousin Reymundo

On September 21st, my cousin Reymundo suffered a stroke and died September 25th. He was 54 years old. He was my cousin by marraige to my prima hermana Martha. He was a father and a grandfather and was just a lovely man. He certainly had his wild days in the seventies as evidenced photographs of the, then popular plaid leisure suits and big hair. He was also an entertainer at heart. He was in many bands back then and loved music. Like all of us, he was not perfect and certainly had his share of disappointments. He also raised two wonderful children, Melina and Fabian who reflect the best of him.

I will always remember Reymundo later on in life as a quieter, more observant man. Holding court in his daughter's kitchen, whipping up some amazing salsa made with the hottest, most evilest habaneros. He would laugh and ask you to try it, touching that part of you that is competitive (especially if you are Mexican). Prove yourself, can you take the heat?! If not, get out the kitchen! I remember that Reymundo was one of the least judgemental people in our extremely large family. Don't get the wrong idea, I love my family but we have an opinion on everyone and everything! Reymundo always made you feel like it was fine to be yourself and that he would not judge you.

This week, my comadre Melina (his daughter), my cousin Fabian (his son), Ariana and Reyli (his granddaughters) and my cousin Martha, our extended family of course his own family branch mourn the loss of this fine man.

En Paz Descanses Reymundo
Rest In Peace Reymundo

No comments: