Sunday, July 20, 2008

Camping Rules!

You know what's good? Camping! We camped in Sanborn Park (Santa Clara County) over the weekend and it was great. The impetus came from our good friend Shinya and his GF visiting from Tokyo. They wanted to go camping and we said "What the heck!". Off we went for a good ol' fashioned American camping trip, s'mores and everything. I have been camping in the desert, in the woods, by the beach and in backyards (haha!) and this trip was up in the top ten. Be forewarned, this park/campsite does not have the option of driving right up to your campsite like many sites do.

This is not a yelp review so I am not going to give a play by play about how clean and well-stocked the bathrooms are (they were both, however no soap, which is fine) or how cheap it is ($15 a night). What I will say is that I spent a great time laughing with my friends, hiked through beautiful scenery and saw plenty of wildlife. We got up early and saw a family of deer, two mothers and three babies. We also saw other "friends" such raccoons and a little mouse and of course a few cottontails.

There is something about being outdoors and experiencing true silence. We live downtown and I forget how noisy it can be. Planes, freeway traffic, sirens, roosters (hehe!) and all our electronic devices drown out even our own thoughts. It was good to re-charge in a redwood grove and get ready for another week in the rat race.

I'm looking forward to our trip to New Mexico, however, I am already thinking about the next campsite.

No comments: